Sunday, September 13, 2009
What is copyright?
1. A form of intellectual property which gives the creator of an original work exclusive rights for a certain time period in relation to that work.
2. Copyright give the original owner the rights to republish and re perform their work.
The time frame of copyright is fifty years after the creator has passed away.
What type of work is protected?
-musical works etc music, lyrics, compos
-artistic works etc painting
literary works such as written books
dramatic works such as dramas
how is copyright violated
1. more than 10% of work is copied
2. did not seek permission to use materials
3. all software are copyright
4. sharing of music over the internet in the form of MP3 format
what type of work does it not protect?(anything that is not documented is not protected under coypyright)
What are the consequences of copyright infringement?
maximum fine of $100,000 and/or jail term not more than 5 years
What is cyberbullying?
1. when someone is threatened, embarrassed, shamed, tormented or harassed using digital technologies.
2. digital technologies such as email, video, blog, website, sms, instant messaging.
-cyber bullying is repeated many times then it qualifies as cyber bullying
-under the age of 16, its called cyber bullying
-If age is above 16, its called cyber stalking.
Reasons of cyber stalking/cyber bullying:
-do it for laughs
effects of cyberbullying:
upset, depressed, afraid, embarrassed, grades drop, suicidal thoughts
how to deal with cyberbullying:
1. tell an adult/talk to a trusted friend
2. dont respond to a rude/mean email or text messages
3. stay away from the phone, chat or email for a few days
4. report the bullying to the chat host/web host/internet
Difference between Cyber friends and friends in real life:
Cyber friends: know through the Internet without meeting the person face-to-face
Friends in real life : get to know each other in the real world
Cyber friends : it is easy to hide his/her real identity (eg. name, gender, age); no verbal and physical feelings, leading to a high chance of deception
Friends in real life: it is difficult to hide his/her real identity, body language and expression
Effects of making friends in the cyber world:
positive: It may draw a person out of his/her shell
a shy teenager may become more open and brave, making it easier to share personal thoughts or problems
It also provides opportunities to meet people who share their particular interests from all over the world.
negative: not truthful of their real identities
cyberpals can easily pretend to be what they are not. therefore, revealing personal information could result in a potentially threatening situation
advice to cyber friendship:
1. avoid giving away personal details or sending their pictures
2. avoid meeting cyberpal face-to-face without discussing with their parents and obtaining permission
3. say NO firmly if someone is trying to persuade them into meeting up or giving personal information about themselves.
4. leave the chatroom if the conversation makes them feel uncomfortable
It is important to protect our computer, the valuable and personal data from being damaged or stolen.
types and effects of security threats
virus, trojan worm and spyware are all categorised under malware.
virus attach itself to a file.
trojan attach itself to a program and pretends to be a harmless program.
worm uses up the computer's resources.hard disk, RandomAcessMemory, processor speed
spyware collects data in your computer.
how virus come into computer
through emails, weakness in computer programs
install firewall and anti-spyware programs
update and scan your virus scans
use strong passwords
THE END (:
lead us to a place
guide us with your grace
to a place where we'll be safe